SOMAVEDA® THAI YOGA THERAPY
WHAT IS SOMAVEDA®?
SomaVeda® is a unique and comprehensive system of holistic therapy that combines a core modality of Thai Ayurvedic Yoga with Naturopathy and Native Medicine.
Every system of yoga has a lineage. "Thai Yoga" is a blanket term for the ancient system of yoga therapy believed to have been developed by Buddhist monks in Thailand over 2,500 years ago. SomaVeda® denotes the system of Thai Yoga as it has been passed down through Dr. Anthony James. He is Grand Master (Aachan) and lineage holder of the Buddhai Sawan tradition, and is the director of the SomaVeda® College of Natural Medicine and Thai Yoga Center in Brooksville, Florida. Within this SomaVeda® lineage I am certified as Khruu, allowing me to run a private practice, lead my own teacher training programs, and register students as SomaVeda® Thai Yoga Practitioners.
WHAT IS THAI YOGA?
It is not like LIKE yoga. It is yoga. It is Yoga Therapy.
You may have heard Thai Ayurvedic Yoga Therapy referred to as Thai Yoga, Thai Massage or its traditional name Nuad Boran. These names refer to the Buddhist and Ayurvedic healing practice of yoga indigenous to Thailand.
Traditional Thai Massage is not the same as "Massage Therapy," although it appear so at first glance. Rather it is a yogic system of movement education based on the principles of energy balancing.
Put plainly, Traditional Thai Massage is a gentle form of assisted yoga. Using passive stretching through a series of postures (asana) and gentle, rhythmic pressure along the body’s main energy meridians (‘Sen’) and pressure points ('Lom'), Thai Yoga has innumerable benefits for the receiver’s health and well-being.
More specifically, Thai Yoga consists of Asana Positional Release, Deep Stretching, Focused Breathing (Prana Yama), Meditation, Chakra Attunement, Energy (Sen) Line Balancing and Somatic Movement Re-Patterning to address the whole body-mind throughout the healing process. It usually takes place on a thick mat laid out on the ground with the client in a relaxed meditative state wearing comfortable clothing.
The primary benefit of Thai Yoga can be summed up in a term called "Promiiwihansii" or the four boundless states of mind: Love, Compassion, Joy and Equanimity. The actual physical movement is considered a secondary benefit. In this way, Thai Ayurvedic Yoga Therapy supports a wholeness of body, mind and spirit.
SOMAVEDA® THAI YOGA AND YOU
Energy is meant to move freely through the body. Disease grows in stagnation. When we experience stagnation in our body, mind and breath such as in postural misalignment, tightness, trauma or injury, fatigue or illness, our energy needs to be moved through so we may heal. SomaVeda® Thai Yoga supports the free movement of energy within all aspects of the body, which is crucial for optimal health and wellness.
Benefits of SomaVeda® Thai Yoga have been known to include:
- Reduction in stress, anxiety and depression
- Increased flexibility and lengthening of the spine
- Increased connective tissue density and elasticity
- Stimulation and healthy circulation of bodily fluids
- Stimulation and regulation of metabolic processes
- Strengthened immune system and increased resistance to infection
- Reduced pain and inflammation, particularly within major joints, lower back and neck
- Reduced toxicity and stagnation in soft tissue including breasts and surrounding areas
- Increased lymphatic stimulation and drainage processes (Complex De-congestive Therapy)
- Increased happiness and a general sense of well being for both the receiver and therapist alike
- Increased bone density, reabsorption, and formation by stressing connective tissue, AKA "bone bending”