Brews, sodas + elixirs:
an herbal beverage crafting Workshop
From nourishing, deeply flavored morning brews to probiotic sodas that empower digestion and excite the senses, learn how to create herbal drinks as festive and memorable centerpieces for daily consumption and special occasions alike.
Let's face it, there are not many options available for healthful beverages in our society. Mass marketed alcohol, non-local coffee and high sugar sodas are widely acceptable means for hydrating nourishment. Delicious as they are, these drinks can have harmful effects on the health of our bodies and our planet.
It is truly unfortunate to feel a deep yearning for more healthful living, yet socially have very minimal options to support that desire. Rather than avoid social gatherings all together when practicing conscious consumption for fear of pressure or shaming, we can offer new ways to bring enjoyment into our lives through the act of sacred drink. In so doing, we honor the planet as well as the health of of ourselves and our loved ones in a tangible way.
Even if you have no incentive to eliminate alcohol or caffeine from your life, knowing your options is remarkably empowering. If at some point you need to give your liver a break, take pharmaceutical medicine that requires alcohol abstinence, become pregnant, or support others in your life that are actively sober, knowing your options for concoctions is key to keeping every life stage filled with joy and abundance.
The gateway for creative beverage inventions is herbal education and interaction. Consciously crafting herbal preparations actualizes healing folk remedies and wisdom within our modern lives.
Options for delicious beverage alternatives ARE available. Let's learn to make them, together!
Craft sensationally delicious herbal beverages in celebration of our local and seasonal bounty.
take this workshop if you want to:
- Interact with herbs and prepare holistic recipes for nourishment
- Add an extra dimension of radical self care to your social gatherings
- Have fun concocting beverages that induce health for yourself and loved ones
- Play the pivotal role in your morning mind and body activation and summer evening cool downs
- Wow your friends with incredibly delicious concoctions in celebration of the natural bounty our Northeast Bioregion
10-1 PM: MORNING SESSION: CONJURING BREWS: WORKING WITH ROOTS AND BARKS
- Learn the health benefits of root and bark brews
- Prepare root and bark infusions from scratch
- Make roasted dandelion root coffye and herbal root beer
- Prepare your "ginger bug" (root based pro-biotic culture)
1-2 PM: LUNCH BREAK
- Enjoy your local eatery or bring your own lunch for a picnic where we will sip on herbal delights!
2-5 PM: AFTERNOON SESSION: CONJURING ELIXIRS: WORKING WITH FLOWERS + LEAVES
- Learn the health benefits of leaf and flower elixirs
- Prepare leaf and flower infusions from scratch
- Make soda using "ginger bug" probiotic culture
- Make herbal sipping vinegar in the hue of rosé, red or white wine
We will delight all day in herbal essence water from our brightly seasonal abundance.
MY brew journey
I have been making herbal beverages for many years. I worked at Whitecliff Vineyard in my early 20s, where I learned to refine my palate for complex flavor profiles in fermented beverages. As I continued on my healing path, making home brewed beers and meads along the way, I steered toward crafting herbal beverages for more consciously sober living. I was one of my communities main kombucha resources at that time, which I sold to local shops on a bulk scale. Yet the struggle for healthy beverage options in social scenarios remained apparent. On the prowl for exciting beverages options without the harmful effects of high sugar, caffeine and alcohol on us and planet, I became committed to concocting beverages which offer delicious opportunities for conscious consumption sans the physical toll on the body.
I miss the romanticism of coffee and wine, but enjoy way more feeling good and playing an active role in the health of myself and community through crafting conscious concoctions. As part of my Selkie Botanica: Radical Self Care product line, I craft herbal infusion blends for daily herbal nutrition.
Some of my favorite herbal allies for hydration are nettles in soda, anise hyssop in water and rose in herbal sipping vinegar. I enjoy drinking witchy brews while socializing with my amazing friends in the Mid Hudson Valley, NY. I look forward to spreading the love in your community!